Saturday, April 18, 2015

PLEIN AIR VINE COVERED ARBOR


This was my first time to Rock City Gardens and I was very impressed. The trails throughout the  gardens were colorful with many painting sites to pick from. After a quick walk about I sat myself down under a shelter to stave of the full sunlight on my painting. I was told not to have the direct sun on a painting because it will mess up your color choices, not too good for me either.

My past experience with plein air painting was one of time wasting anguish trying to find the perfect site to paint. By the time I set up to paint I was in a negative doubting state of mind so of course the paintings were always horrid.


My small canvas was toned with a pink background; actually it was the paint left over on my palette from the last canvas I was working on. I used Crimson Red to paint the negative space around the vine covered arbor, next I put a white/yellow warm tone to give the illusion of sunshine.  The shadows on my canvas makes it a little difficult to see my first stokes of color.
Stage 2


ROCK CITY ARBOR
Here is my final painting. Think I prefer the drama of stage 2.

I am wondering what you think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment