Saturday, May 14, 2016

POLLY MAY I HAVE A DO OVER?

Polly Hammett

       OK, here we go again. Above is a photo of Polly Mammett's style, I don't want to copy her but I feel that the artist within me wants to paint like her.


1.

     This time I used acrylic paints on the same Yupo paper but I put my model into a vignette with a solid dark background, I got too confused with the ocean and the sand. Acrylics may adhere better to the Yupo substrate so that the glazing has a chance to work. Oh, the Vellum that Polly uses has arrived from Cheap Joe's. Vellum is more paper like than I thought it was.
2.








3.
After the background paint is dry I will start blocking in the figure with warm bright colors.


4.
I think I need to exaggerate the light and darks then do a wipe off of the lightest side. I did try a sample wipe off of the acrylics on Yupo...it works but not as well as watercolor paints. The Q Tip did a pretty good job of removing the paint on the light side of her body but I don't think it has the original pop so even though black is a no no, let's see what happens.
6.





5.














Forget the wash and move onto the last step.

Completed.


Step 5. Colored Pencil Transitions.
Colored pencils are use to create soft edges or transitions from on shape to another. Of course the hard edges are left on the focal subject matter. Pencils are used to draw the details of eyes, lips, jewelry and other smaller details. If you leave all the solid color shapes they are perceived as "flat" in the painting.

I did not try to soften any edges just enhance features of the painting. I found that watercolor pencils worked better than regular colored pencils on the Yupo paper. I don't really know how to work on Yupo so my next attempt will be on Vellum.

Ps. I tried another painting on my newly ordered Vellum and found it is strictly for dry pencil drawing. Water just made it buckle and watercolors would not move around at all.

Add another fact added to my body of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment