Friday, November 4, 2016

MY SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY



     Ten years ago my husband and I moved to Florida for the warmth and sunshine. I've never regretted the move but a piece of my heart is still in Glen Arbor and Traverse City, Michigan.  I became the office manager for the Glen Arbor Art Association and showed my art work in a small local gallery. Those years cemented my determination to pursue an artistic future.

     After five years of absence I flew back to see friends and to see the beauty of the Sleeping Bear Dunes area. The forests and hills spoke to me in a deep way, they reminded me of Pennsylvania where I was raised. Another great reason to fly back is our son who lives and works in Traverse City.

     We scheduled  our visit the exact day that Hurricane Matthew (Cat. 4) struck near Vero Beach. That plan did not work for obvious reasons so we rebooked for the end of October. I took the one winter coat that I still have left and have not worn in ten years, socks, no sandals please, long pants with layers of tops. Again I saw my dear friend Barb and we took a sentimental drive to see the my former house and few of the places that were dear to me. Barb and I ate at Art's Tavern where the hamburgers are fantastic. Funny how much of what I remembered was the same; thank you Michigan for not changing everything in my absence.

     OK, now to the art work I have pictured above. Barb and I ran with two other red hat ladies with whom we frequently went out for lunch.  One of our favorite spots was Amacal Restaurant on Front Street. It is upscale cuisine with the old world brick wall charm. Wayne and I ate at Amaval on our last night in Michigan, I even had a glass of wine. Every time I  go to Amacal  I look for this piece of art work hanging on their wall. It was still there!!!! It took so many years for me to recognize that this is my style and to begin painting in the expressionistic manner that I have always admired.

What took me so long?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment