Sunday, May 31, 2015

INVITE AN ARTIST TO STAY OVER NIGHT





PHOTO


Karen Leffel Massengill is a dear friend and a fellow member of the Vero Beach Art Club. We work as co-chairs for the workshop committee which is planning the 2016 schedule. Karen has chosen Janet Rogers and Mary Garrish for our two instructors for our workshops.

We got together for a weekend of scouting out plein air spots with the appropriate rest rooms, pavillions and parking. There were four great options in Vero Beach for the instructor to choose from. Then we did the copying of contracts to be mailed out asap, rent the classrooms for next season and let the office know of our decisions. Done

Now we could relax and paint. I painted in my little studio and Karen opted for the lanai. Good friends can paint alone and check in on each other as time passes. She is so kind to me in that she willing shares her knowledge. I have taken workshops from her in the past but I have decided to drive all the way to Palm City to take her painting basics class. In addition, I mentioned that I joined Daily PaintWorks to create a painting a day.  All of this should put me onto the fast track to super sizing my artistic growth.

Karen demoed a photo of adobe houses with a ladder leaning against the wall. She blocked in the shapes and angles by taking measurements with the handle of her brush which gives proportion and perspective.
Karen #1

I find it difficult to do thumbnail value sketches but I can do direct to the canvas with measurements, blocking in main shapes and value. Karen demoed how to make a mother pile of paint which then is the basis for lighter/darker or warmer/cooler tones.
       
Karen #2
              
Karen #3
                   
The last two photos are my Adobe House interpretation. My first attempt lacked  color temperature changes so I tried to pump up the warm/cool contrast in the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment